There now follows an overview of how the different sections and communication tools on the website operate. Should you require a detailed description of any of them, you can find further details in the user manual for the application
Applying for a User Account
An anonymous user may browse through all the public pages within the application, consult news items and agenda events, and also read any forum messages and blog entries published by users./p>
However, if you wish to participate in the forums or comment on the blog entries, you must sign up for a user account.
To do so, please follow the steps outlined below:
- Click on the link "Create a New Account" which can be found at the top of every page.
- When the page loads, fill out the following fields:
- Username: The username you will be using in the application. If someone has already chosen this username, you will be asked to choose a new one.
- Email address: A valid email account is required so that we can send you your account activation code. If someone has already chosen this account, you will be asked to provide a different one.
- Name: The user’s real first name.
- Surname(s): The user’s real surname(s).
- Acceptance of the Data Protection provisions: By checking this box, users accept that their personal details may be stored in a database for the purpose of managing their accounts.
- Subscription to the CENTAC Newsletter (optional): If this box is ticked, users agree to receive the newsletters sent by administrators from the application to the email address they provided.
- CAPTCHA: This is a tool to prevent mass-mailing systems from creating users in an automated fashion in order to send out spam (unsolicited emails). Users must key into the text field the letters which appear in the CAPTCHA image. Where users find it difficult to read the letters correctly, they may request a new phrase by clicking the button marked "Get a new challenge" from the CAPTCHA or request an audio version by pressing the button marked "Get an audible challenge".
- When you have finished filling out the required fields, click the button "Create a new account". On doing so, a confirmation email will be sent to the address given by the user.
- Users then open their preferred email client and follow the instructions given in the confirmation message. Basically, users are instructed to click on the link to a CENTAC webpage, where the existence of the username can be confirmed.
As soon as users confirm the new account, they may access the application by logging in with their username and the password assigned to them.
Access for registered users
In order to be able to participate in the forums or send messages to the blogs, users must first log into the application with a valid username.
For login purposes, there are two fields at the top labelled "Username" and "Password". After keying in the correct details for an existing, active username, users click on the "Start Session" link.
If the data are correct, a menu identifying the user and displaying a series of links will appear to the left of the web pages:
- My account:
- Create content: This link leads to two sub-links:
- Blog entry: This link provides access to be able to create a new entry in the user blog.
- Forum topic: This link allows users to create a new topic in the application forums.
- Summary of contents: This link takes you to a list of the latest contents uploaded to the application, ordered by date of creation.
- End session: Clicking on this link terminates the user’s session.
Both the website’s contents and the application interface are available in five languages: Spanish, Catalan, Basque, Galician and English.
On the top left of every page in the application there is a series of five links offering access to each of these languages ("Bienvenido", "Benvigut", "Ongi etorri", "Benvido" and "Welcome"). By clicking on the corresponding link, the page being loaded at that moment will change to the selected language and, from that moment onwards, the site will be navigated in that language until another one is selected.
News and agenda events are always entered in Spanish.
Users may enter contents in blogs and forums in the language of their choice.
Content Search Engine
There is a "Search Engine" text box at the top right of the page. Whenever one or more terms are entered into this box and the icon is clicked, a page loads with a list of the website elements which meet the search criteria.
This search is performed on the HTML contents of the website’s pages. After this initial search, clicking on the "Attachments" tab of the list will repeat the search, but this time on the contents of the various files which may have been attached to the different pages. For example, where a PDF file has been added to a news item and this file includes the search term, the PDF file will appear in the search results in this tab.
The forums of the application are accessible from the “Participate” section > "Forums" of the application. They can be reached by clicking on the "Participate" link of the main menu and then on "Forums" on the secondary menu.
The forums page displays a list of all the forums available. Clicking on any of them pulls up a list of the topics started in that forum. And clicking on a topic displays both the initial post and all the replies that have been subsequently added to that thread.
An anonymous user can access the forums and read the topics, but cannot participate by posting any messages or replies. In order to do so, visitors must first sign up for a user account and duly log into the application.
All registered users can post messages and replies in the forums, edit their messages or even delete a topic where they are the OP (original poster).
There exists another type of user known as the "Forum & Blogs Moderator" who may edit and delete any topic (as can the "Administrator" user). Moreover, the administrators of the application may designate any user to act as moderator of a certain forum. In that forum, this user will have the same powers as a "Forum & Blogs Moderator" type of user.
Whenever new users are created, they automatically have the option to post entries in their own exclusive blog. They may add whatever entries they wish to this blog by clicking on the links "Create Content" > "Blog Entry".
Any registered user may add a comment to the blog entry of another user by clicking on the "Add New Comment" link.
Users may edit or delete their own blog entries or comments at any time. An "Administrator" or "Forum & Blogs Moderator" user may edit or delete any entry or comment.
"Author" type users may post new items of news which are published automatically on the website. These items appear ordered from the most recent to the oldest in the "News" section; they may be accessed from the main menu and also on the home page or in the appropriate section of the menu on the right of the pages of the application.
"Author" type users may post new agenda events which are published automatically on the website. These events appear ordered by time – from the most recent to the most distant – in the "Agenda" section; they may be accessed from the main menu and also on the home page or in the appropriate section of the menu on the right of the pages of the application.
Moreover, the events may be consulted on the calendar which appears on the right of the pages of the application. By default, this calendar displays the current month, with the current day highlighted and those days with events underlined. Calendar navigation is possible by clicking the "Previous" and "Next" links.
Clicking on one of the underlined dates (i.e. those with scheduled events) brings up a page with data on the event, including the organisation which arranged it, the venue, a description of the same, etc.
The administrators may create newsletters which will be sent to users by email. To receive them, users must have subscribed to the application newsletters during the user signup process.
The newsletters include summaries of the website’s contents selected by the administrators, which may be news, agenda events or any other type of content. When users receive the email, these summaries will include links providing direct access to details of the element within the CENTAC website.